Leighton Hulett was a young Durban farmer who purchased what is now St Francis Bay on 24th December 1954 for £1750.
John Booysen swopped his Chevrolet car for part of a farm bordering the lighthouse at Seal Point which became Cape St Francis in 1965.
The towns are 100km west of Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth) at the start of the Garden Route and two hours from the world famous Tsitsikama Forest.
The Heritage Centre in Harbour Road exibits how this is the oldest known place were skeletal remains of homo sapiens or modern man existed.
In 1968 Hulett began work on the Blue Flag Status St Francis Bay Canals. Plots were being sold whilst the canals were still being excavated and one buyer was unimpressed that he was spending this much money on dune in front of a big trench.
Jack Niclaus designed the St Francis Links Golf Course, at the entrance to the village, which boasts an 18-hole course. The 18-hole St Francis Bay golf course, situated in the village, was built in 1975 by Robert Grimsdell and later extended by Maxwell to 18 holes in 1999.
The Irma Booysen Floral Reserve in Cape St Francis is home to many species of flowers and plants and there are more than 200 species of birds in the area including the rare Black Oyster Catcher and Fish Eagle.
During December SANCCOB (South African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds) releases about 50 African penguins below the Seal Point Lighthouse which was built in 1878 and stands 28 meters high. Today the lighthouse is not working but you can go on a guided tour of the inside and surrounding area.
The Sand River has very little flow at any given time, but during heavy rain it brings a deluge of water and debris down. On one occasion the bridge collapsed leaving the two towns stranded for a few days.
Although today some houses in St Francis Bay are built with grey tiled roofs because of the danger of fire, the first house built like this was approved as the owner was allergic to thatch.
The St Francis Airfield can be used for those who wish to fly in.